Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I really don't understand You....but somehow I still get You.


I was sitting on my porch this evening looking out at pure wonder. The horizon is a dull red blending into a dusk blue and then a dark gray...the kind of gray that snarls at you threatening a thunderstorm. As I sat there the rains started to dance their way to the ground. The ominous thunder clouds slowly covered the dusk blue and started to take over the dull red right at the horizon line. Lightening struck. Amazing beauty as I watched the lightening light up the entire cloud. Rain started to fall more heavly and my i-pod started playing “What Do I Know Of Holy?” by Addison Road. The words came right through the speaker and penetrated into my heart. “I guess I thought that I had figured You out. I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about how You are mighty to save, those were only empty words on a page. Then I caught a glimps of who You might be. The slightest hint of You brought me down on my knees”...I sat there filled with …. with surprising remorse of how much I realized I thought that I knew/understood this amazing God. My heart sank as I completely connected with the words being sung. Now mind you, I'm growing in the Lord every day, but still I was amazed at my human response of thinking I was able to comprehend and grasp the idea of God. Thank You Jesus that I can't. Who wants to serve a God they can fully comprehend and grasp? Hello?...there'd be no need to worship and serve Him, I'd be the same as Him.

I just sat, frozen in … well … remorse over my simple mind. Thinking I understood the Lord.....seriously?

After a small quiet pause “Revelation Song”, sung by Kim Walker-Smith, started to fill the air. Lightening struck, thunder cracked, rain wet my feet which were stretched out on the portch, and my heart started to soar as I realized, again, what kind of God God was, is, and is to come.

“Clothed in rainbows, of living color
Flashes of lightening, rolls of thunder.
Blessing and honor, strength, and glory and power be
To You the only wise king

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Amighty
Who was, and is, and is to come.
With all creation I sing
Praise to the King of Kings
You are my everything
And I will adore you!

Filled with wonder, awestruck wonder
At the mention of your name.
Jesus your name is power
Breath, and living water
Such a marvelous mystery!”

Thank you for the loving reminder, Lord, that I don't understand You, but somehow I still get You.  You are so incomprehendable, and yet, at the same time, you make Yourself approachable to us through Your amazing grace.

listen to "What Do I Know of Holy" by Addison Road


No comments:

Post a Comment