Monday, January 17, 2011

random thoughts... December 31, 2010

Every once in a blue moon I will have a day where I feel like I wish I were back home in America. Sometimes having everything around you, and I mean everything, be SO different can just be exhausting and slightly overwhelming. On the whole, I love being here. But today, well.... It doesn't help that I have family members back home who are going through very difficult things. My sister-in-law's mother has been in the hospital for several months and is basically fighting death. I can't explain how difficult it is to watch, from far away, a close family member, in deed dear friend, go through such a tough time and I can't be there to cry with her, listen, give a hug, make her laugh.....I miss you Yara. If you are of the praying kind you can pray for Yara's mother, Lenir. She needs a miracle and that can only come from the Lord.

Mom and Dad are here. It is such a blessing having them be able to come. Yet, it's strange. It's like having two totally different worlds of mine collide.   Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are here and I don't wish it any other way, I'm just saying....it's strange. Our neighbors started harvesting the rice. I was so glad for this as mom and dad can see how they harvest the rice and do everything by hand. They spend the morning bringing up loads of rice on their heads and sweeping the dirt off the ground (if that makes any sense....they try to get the big clods of dirt and stones up before they lay the rice down). They then take bundles of rice and whack them over either a stone or an old barrel to get the rice off. They then let the rice dry in the sun and then sweep it up into sacks. A yoke of zebu then come and take a cart of rice stalks away and the adults take one sack at a time on their heads into town to sell. HARD work. We went out to watch them and see if it was ok to take some pictures. They asked us if we wanted to try wacking the rice on the rocks. SURE! Mom and I both tried. Wow, back breaking...and these people work from sun up to sun down until it's all done.....days and days....bless their hearts.

Anyway, back to my original thought. Sometimes it's just nice to have a few moments where you don't have to think in another language, think about what you say or do culturally....ya know? And we have it fairly easy here as there are several other missionaries around us who can speak English (some it's their native language some not). There are missionaries here in Mada. that don't have another English speaking person near them for MILES!

My parents leave next Wednesday and the day after we are going to Andasibe to the rainforrest for a vacation. SO excited. Going with Fiona (English) and her husband Narilanto (Malagasy) and their 2 yr. old son, Marcus (picture to the left). Should be very nice to get away.


I'm noticing that with in the last 2 or 3 weeks the boys have become very comfortable with playing with the neighborhood children around us (see top picture). For this I am very thankful, however, it's kind of sad as we'll be moving away from this neighborhood in 3 weeks. Yes, we can come back and visit, but it's not quite the same. Ok, I think that's enough random thoughts for this week. Sorry about my mind traveling in circles as I write! For those of you that know me well, you know that's quite normal but it can be hard to follow...especially in a blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment